Our Employment Law Group assists clients in meeting the challenges of today’s workplace by providing practical advice on all aspects of the employment relationship. We also understand the client’s concern about its bottom line. Our approach is to establish a close working relationship, understand your objectives and then work hard to help your organization prosper.
We advise a wide range of clients on issues relating to union and non-union settings in both the public and private sector throughout British Columbia. We regularly represent our clients before federal and provincial courts, arbitrators, and administrative panels. Our lawyers have a diverse background and can provide innovative solutions to problems arising in the employment context including:
- Employment aspects of business startups, reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, and closures.
- Employment contracts and severance agreements.
- Confidentiality, non-competition, and non-solicitation agreements.
- Human resources issues, including policy formulation and dispute resolution mechanisms.
- Wrongful dismissal litigation.
- Statutory compliance and complaints (including employment standards, human rights, and workers’ compensation matters).
- Attendance and absenteeism, employee health and disability issues,
- Workplace safety issues.
- Discipline and discharge of employees.
- Workplace harassment and discrimination.
- Union avoidance strategies.
- Bargaining unit organization and certification, unfair labour practices, collective bargaining.
- Grievance handling and arbitration.
- All aspects of union strikes, lockouts, and picketing disputes.
Please do not hesitate to contact one of our employment lawyers for more information or a confidential consultation.
Alfred Kempf*Associate Counsel Call Date: 1982 250.869.1215 | Toll Free 1.800.558.1155 firstname.lastname@example.org
Joni Metherell*Partner Call Date: 1995 250.869.1200 | Toll Free 1.800.558.1155 email@example.com
Colin Edstrom*Partner Call Date: 2011 250.869.1114 | Toll Free 1.800.558.1155 firstname.lastname@example.org
Claire MacLeodAssociate Call Date: 2020 250.869.1191 | Toll Free 1.800.558.1155 email@example.com
Delaney LongAssociate Call Date: 2022 250.869.1175 | Toll Free 1.800.558.1155 firstname.lastname@example.org
I hired Alf Kempf to represent me in a wrongful dismissal case against Conrad Black's Hollinger. We were up against some very powerful people who wanted me and my story quashed since it could have led to Black and his partner David Radler's demise long before US authorities charged them. I'd heard Alf was the best employment lawyer in the Okanagan but had no idea he would perform so brilliantly against Hollinger's team of Vancouver lawyers. We spent eight days before a judge in the BC Supreme Court followed by written arguments. It took the judge seven months to rule, and when she did, it was a convincing victory for me. I can say without hesitation that Alf's preparation and courtroom performance, especially his cross examination of their witnesses, was superb. I'm sure that despite having a strong case a lesser lawyer would have been unable to have complex evidence presented in a clear and logical manner. I don't like to think what might have happened if someone hadn't recommended Alf to help me in the biggest battle of my life.