As a business lawyer, Andrea loves the challenge of guiding her clients through complex commercial transactions and real estate projects, and she strives for excellence with every task. Andrea has previously acted as in-house counsel at a private corporation and a public body, experiences that provide insight into her clients’ perspectives. She frequently helps First Nations and the organizations that do business with them to navigate the regulatory systems governing their economic and real estate development projects.
Andrea believes that clarity is the key to good legal service. She focuses on clear drafting in each contract she develops, and has extensive experience in drafting commercial contracts for unique transactions. She helps each client to fully grasp the processes and legal issues they face by giving clear, practical advice and making complex projects and developments more understandable.
After earning her Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of British Columbia (during which time she received the Prize in Conflicts Law for academic achievement in private international law), Andrea worked as a Judicial Law Clerk for the British Columbia Supreme Court, and became a lawyer in 2004. She belongs to the Kelowna Bar Association.
Andrea attended high school in Kelowna and returned here after university. Showing her commitment to the community – from buying local whenever possible to supporting local business owners, artists and producers – is very important to her. Andrea is a member of the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce, the Greater Westside Board of Trade (where she proudly served a term as a director), and the Urban Development Institute.
Both in and outside her working life, Andrea strives for a job well done. She works hard to give the best of herself to her clients, her volunteerism, and the family she adores: her husband and daughters. She enjoys spending time at the lake and exploring the beautiful Okanagan with her family.
- Negotiating and preparing complex commercial contracts
- Purchases and sales of businesses in a variety of industries
- Preparing shareholders agreements
- Corporate reorganizations
- Personal information protection in commercial transactions
- Structuring of new companies and societies
- Contest rules for sweepstakes
- Copyright and licensing
- Reviewing and negotiating commercial leases
- Buying and selling residential and commercial property, including conveyancing of leases on reserve
- Reviewing and preparing charges against title, including statutory building schemes, land use covenants, rights of first refusal and options to purchase
- Advising strata corporations
- Real estate development on reserve, including designations, permitting, leasing, and CMHC approval
- First Nations economic entity structuring, including limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships, and joint venture agreements
- Advising on and preparing security for commercial loans
- Advising on and preparing mortgages of leasehold interests on reserve
- Advising charities on charitable purpose trusts and gift agreements
- Sun Rivers, Tk’emlúps te Secwepemc
- Spirit Ridge Resort, Osoyoos
- West Harbour Village, Westbank First Nation
- West Harbour Village, Adams Lake Indian Band
- Canyon Desert Ranch, Osoyoos
- Cottages at Osoyoos, Osoyoos
- Sliammon First Nation Residential Subleases
- Sienna Ridge, Tk’emlúps te Secwepemc
- Business Law
- Commercial Transactions
- First Nations Real Estate Development and Economic Development
Pushor Mitchell and their team have serviced our Company business needs in the most exemplary way. Their level of understanding of business and business practices within a First Nation's context has been invaluable. Pushor Mitchell exhibits a high level of professionalism and understands what is needed to support and move companies forward.Les Skaalid, RPF, Operations ManagerYucwmenlúcwu