What if I have Assets in BC and Another Province (usually AB) on Death?


Whichever jurisdiction you own assets in, an estate grant will be required for those assets in that jurisdiction. Your Executor will need to obtain an estate grant in one jurisdiction first (usually where you were domiciled and/or held the bulk of your assets) and then have that estate grant “resealed” in every other jurisdiction where you held your assets.

This is a fairly common occurrence in BC as many residents here have property elsewhere (AB, Arizona etc.) It is a time consuming process, but mainly an administrative formality to give your Executor the ability to deal with your property in another jurisdiction.

This is provided as information ONLY; it should NOT be construed as legal advice. For more information on estate planning/incapacity planning and to discuss your specific circumstances, please contact Vanessa DeDominicis at dedominicis@pushormitchell.com or on 250-869-1140. Vanessa practices in the area of Wills and Estates at Pushor Mitchell LLP in Kelowna and would be more than happy to assist you.