Angela is a British and Canadian lawyer who has practiced in the areas of professional indemnity and health care law for over 24 years. She has a strong focus on medical malpractice and catastrophic injuries arising from the negligence of others. Her medical malpractice experience includes settling claims for injured patients in excess of $6.5m. Compensation has been secured for a wide range of injuries including missed fungal meningitis, ruptured brain aneurysm, spinal abscess and brain abscess; implantation of faulty surgical devices, cerebral palsy, orthopedic surgery, vascular surgery, chiropractic manipulation and delayed diagnosis of cancer and other treatable conditions.
“The injuries are as varied as the patients,” Angela says, “but after doing this work for so long there are patterns that are repeated and lessons still to be learned by the medical community.”
Angela brings a unique perspective to her medical malpractice work as she has over 12 years’ of experience defending physicians, clinicians and health authorities both in the UK and across Canada. This knowledge is used to the benefit of her clients in securing the best outcome.
Angela’s personal injury practice includes serious injuries sustained in motor vehicle accidents, sporting activities, falls and assault. She does not accept instructions from ICBC, nor does she represent insurers in Alberta.
Angela offers her legal services across BC and Alberta.
Angela was born in England and attended business school, obtaining a Bachelor’s degree in Science and Economics, before attending law school in Cardiff, Wales (1994). She immigrated to Canada with her family in 2006 and relicensed in BC and subsequently Alberta and Ontario. Angela is a certified and experienced mediator having trained in the UK (CEDR) the USA (Pepperdine University, CA) and Canada (Justice Institute of BC; Community Mediation, Ottawa). She is a sought after speaker across Canada in her fields of medical malpractice, health care law, risk management and professional indemnity. Angela was faculty with CME Cruises providing education to physicians and has presented during grand rounds to the medical community on medical-legal topics.
With a keen interest in local community volunteering, Angela has provided hundreds of hours of volunteer work as a trained crisis line responder and provided victim support through the community rape crisis center. She is certified in mental health first aid (ASIST) and is an avid supporter of raising awareness for mental health issues.
Angela is married with two grown up daughters. She enjoys skiing, learning to play golf and preparing dinner with her family. She joined Pushor Mitchell LLP as Associate Counsel in 2019. Settling into Kelowna has been a long-term goal for Angela and of her recent move she notes, “I am here to serve this wonderful community both by way of legal services and voluntary work. I am blessed to be here.”
- Medical Malpractice
- Head and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Personal Injury
- Health Law
Medical Malpractice Cases Settled
- Delayed diagnosis of fungal meningitis causing extensive brain damage resulting in loss of capacity to work and impaired ability to parent
- Negligent management of general anaesthetic during routine surgery causing catastrophic brain damage
- Negligent handling of child birth causing cerebral palsy
- Failing to protect suicidal patient from attempting suicide that resulted in serious brain injury
- Delay in diagnosis and treatment of compartment syndrome leading to loss of function of limb, independence and chronic pain
- Negligent surgical and post-surgical treatment of pituitary cyst causing blindness and brain damage
- Chiropractic treatment causing stroke
- Negligently performed surgery to shoulder causing loss of professional hockey career