B.C.’s Home Owner Grant Centralization

Categories: Blog, Business Law

The B.C. government is taking over the running of the provincial home owner grant from municipalities. The home owner grant reduces the amount of property tax you pay for your principal residence. The grant is available to homeowners who pay property taxes to a municipality, or to the province if they live in a rural area.

Effective 2021 all home owner grant applications must be submitted directly to the B.C. provincial government through a secure online application. Previously, home owners would submit their applications through their municipal offices.

As of February 16, home owners can apply for their current year or their retroactive home owner grants online at Home Owner Grant.

Home owners are reminded to keep their property assessment notice from BC Assessment or property tax notice from their municipality, as they will need their roll and jurisdiction number from their notice to apply for the grant.

If the home owner would prefer to apply over the phone, they can call the contact centre toll-free at 1 888 355 2700 to speak with an agent. The contact centre will begin taking applications over the phone as of February 16.

Municipalities will no longer accept any applications.

Patrick Bobyn is a solicitor practicing in the areas of business law and real estate. His real estate experience includes assisting clients with purchasing and selling real property, financing, and providing general advice as it relates to real estate law. Please do not hesitate to contact Patrick at bobyn@pushormitchell.com.