Paul’s practice is limited to serious personal injury claims and art law.
In his personal injury practice, he acts only on behalf of the injured, with an emphasis on brain injury claims, spinal injuries, death claims, and medical malpractice claims. He also has considerable experience in product liability cases, and has been involved with product liability claims involving the design and manufacture of automobiles (including roll over and roof crush cases), trucks, motorcycles, drive shafts, bicycles, bicycle forks, motorcycle forks, seatbelts (seatbelt failure), swimming platforms, and medical components, in Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom.
Paul acts for clients throughout B.C. in multi-million-dollar claims. He settled claims of over 15 million dollars in just one year recently.
He also has extensive experience with structured settlements, having completed over 30 structured settlements in prior severe injury claims.
His clients include a wide range of complex personal injury claims. He has earned a reputation as a well-prepared tenacious advocate for his clients.
Paul is the author of a significant number of articles on brain injury, severe personal injury, and medical malpractice claims, and is often sought out to speak on these topics.
Paul was a founding director of Brain Trust Canada in 1988, and was on their board for over 25 years. He is a past director of the B.C. Brain Injury Foundation. Paul has also presented at numerous brain injury conferences, including the Pacific Coast Brain Injury Conference, the Okanagan Brain Injury Conference, as well as for the Trial Lawyers Association of BC.
Pushor Mitchell LLP is the also main sponsor of the Pushor Mitchell Conference on Brain Injury, which is an annual brain injury conference organized by Brain Trust Canada, and presented in Kelowna every year in June.
Paul’s art law practice includes acting for buyers and sellers, dealers, collectors, artists, galleries, museums, and art institutions. He has been involved as an art dealer and art advisor for many years. Paul has lectured on art including events hosted by the University of British Columbia, and the Kelowna Art Gallery. He is a past Director and Past Vice–Chair of the Kelowna Art Gallery, and Past Chair of their Acquisitions Committee.
Paul was born and raised in Kelowna. He left to attend the University of British Columbia where he obtained a Bachelor of Commerce Degree and his Bachelor of Law Degree. He returned to Kelowna in 1979, was called to the Bar in 1980 and became a partner in the firm in 1983.
He was appointed a Queens Counsel in 2008.
Paul has a long history of service to the community. His efforts have been recognized many times over the years including the following awards:
- 1998 Central Okanagan United Way – Local Hero Award
- 1999 Kelowna Chamber Of Commerce – Volunteer Award of Excellence
- 2000 Kelowna Chamber of Commerce – Excellence in Leadership Award
- 2000 Canadian Bar Association – Community Service Award
- 2001 Kelowna Minor Hockey Association – Volunteer of the Year Award
- 2002 Kelowna Capital News – Kelowna Newsmaker of the Year Award
- 2004 Kelowna Civic & Community Award for Memorial Cup – Anita Tozer Memorial Award
- 2004 Rotary International – Paul Harris Fellow Award
- 2008 Queens Counsel (Q.C.) Appointment
- 2009 UBC Okanagan Alumni Community Builder Award
- 2010 B.C. Community Achievement Award
- 2012 Kelowna Chamber of Commerce, Honourary Life Member
- 2012 Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- 2012 UBC Alumni Achievement Award, Volunteer Leadership Award
- 2014 Honorary Patron, The Nature Trust of BC’s Earth Wind Fire 2014
- Only represent / act for the injured.
- Strategic counsel for clients with claims arising from catastrophic injuries including traumatic head injuries and spinal cord injuries.
- Successfully represented personal injury clients throughout B.C. in multi-million dollar claims.
- Personal Injury litigation including claims arising from chronic pain, disability, insurance, medical negligence, car accidents, whiplash and wrongful death.
- Art Law
Pushor Mitchell LLP is an organization with a rare and impressive sense of corporate social responsibility. For over three decades, Paul Mitchell, Q.C. and his team have rallied around our charitable cause, ensuring that brain injury is 'front of mind' in the community as a significant social and health issue. Through their support of the organization from the very inception of the society, to their ongoing commitment to provide board leadership, to title sponsorship of the Pushor Mitchell Okanagan Conference on Brain Injury - Paul and his team, continue to offer strong collaborative support in our efforts to improve the lives of the people we serve and to reduce preventable brain injuries through education and awareness. We are grateful to work with Paul Mitchell, Q.C. and his team at Pushor Mitchell LLP, and we are honoured to call him our friend.Mona Hennenfent, CEOBrainTrust Canada