James’ practice includes a wide range of business law matters, real estate law and estate planning.
He acts as counsel for over 350 Corporations and Societies and has been involved in a broad range of business law transactions including formations, mergers, acquisitions, restructuring, corporate finance transactions, franchising for both Franchisor and Franchisee, technology/licensing agreements and securities compliance. His extensive real estate practice includes clients which are developers, purchasers, vendors and investors, for the full spectrum of real estate transactions consisting primarily of commercial property and development projects on freehold or leasehold land, in addition to typical leasing and residential transactions.
His approach as a lawyer is one where he not only identifies the legal issues but also one where he provides practical solutions to getting the deal done. He has built a diverse practice acting for individuals and companies in a variety of industries. James’ staff is very experienced and competent in assisting him with time sensitive complex commercial transactions.
Throughout James’ legal career he has been very active in various leadership roles in the community. He is currently a Director of the Aberdeen Hall Preparatory School. He is a past Director of the Board of Directors of the United Way of the Central and South Okanagan/Similkameen. He is past President of the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce, Past President of the Kelowna Art Gallery, and has served the community in many other capacities with a view that if you take care of the community then it will take care of you. He is a Past President of the Kelowna Bar Association and a past Director of the Central Okanagan Community Futures Development Corporation.
James is the Chairman and CEO of Decisive Dividend Corporation, a publicly listed company on the TSX V exchange.
He obtained a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Alberta and a Juris Doctor from the University of Saskatchewan. He articled in 1995, began practicing law in 1996, joined Pushor Mitchell in 2000 and became a partner in 2003.
Away from the office, James tries to keep active with hockey, soccer and golf to balance the physical impact of the many meals that are included with his community activities. His young family which includes two active growing boys quite willingly keeps his focus away from becoming an armchair quarterback.
- Formations of Corporations, Joint Ventures, Partnerships, Societies, Co-ops, mergers, acquisitions, restructuring, corporate finance transactions.
- Negotiating and advising on complex commercial contracts.
- Preparing and advising on commercial lending, security and finance matters.
- Counsel for residential and commercial developers.
- Purchase, sale, leasing and refinancing of commercial and residential real estate including new construction, existing property, and strata units on freehold or leasehold property.
- Franchising and Licensing for the Franchisor and Franchisee.
- First Nations financing, leasing and property transactions.
- Advising on technology transactions from non disclosure agreements to acquisition agreements.
- Advising on all aspects of capital structuring, financing and securities compliance.
- Estate Planning – Wills, Representation Agreements and Discretionary Trusts.